The Mad River Township Fire Department was formed in 1924 by citizens of the township. The citizens purchased Mad River Township's first piece of equipment, a 50 gallon chemical trailer. In 1949, Mad River Township purchased its first pumper from Central Fire Equipment. In that same year the Mad River Township Trustees appointed the first Fire Chief, Chief Charles Tyler. Mad River Township's first fire station was located two doors west of the traffic light on the north side of East Main Street. This station housed two fire engines until 1956, when the fire association purchased land on East Main Street where a new firehouse was built and dedicated in 1957. Since then, Mad River Township Fire & EMS has been located at the East Main Street location and was remodeled in 2002 with the old bays becoming office space and living quarters. When the new station was completed, the Fire and EMS Departments were combined under one roof, which were separate up to this date. Today Mad River Township Fire & EMS Department operates two Medics, two Engines, one Rescue, one Quint Ladder Truck, one Brush Truck, one Boat, and one multi-purpose utility vehicle.
The Enon Rescue Squad was formed in 1966 by citizens of the township who saw the need for faster emergency medical response. The first ambulance was purchased with donated money for $550.00. The Rescue Squad consisted of 18 volunteers and 3 dispatchers.