The Mad River Township Fire Department was formed in 1924 by citizens of the township. The citizens purchased Mad River Township's first piece of equipment, a 50 gallon chemical trailer. In 1949, Mad River Township purchased its first pumper from Central Fire Equipment. In that same year the Mad River Township Trustees appointed the first Fire Chief, Chief Charles Tyler. Mad River Township's first fire station was located two doors west of the traffic light on the north side of East Main Street. This station housed two fire engines until 1956, when the fire association purchased land on East Main Street where a new firehouse was built and dedicated in 1957.
Nine years later the Enon Rescue Squad was formed in 1966 by a group of citizens from the township. Using donated money, the first ambulance was purchased thus providing faster emergency medical services for residents.
In 2002, the firehouse was remodeled with the old apparatus bays becoming office space and living quarters. When the new station was completed, the Fire and EMS Departments were combined under one roof, which were separate departments up to this date.
Today Mad River Township Fire & EMS Department protects approximately 11,000 residents in a 32 square mile response district including the Village of Enon. The department is separated into 2 major divisions: Administrative Division and Operational Division. All personnel are part-time or paid on call members. The department is dispatched through the Clark County DIspatch Center. These personnel responded to over 1800 calls for service annually from 1 station housing 6 front line and 3 specialty call pieces of apparatus.